OSHA inspections for Overhead Cranes and Hoists
OSHA (20-CFR 1910.179(J)) requires general industries to complete three types of inspections.
- INITIAL Prior to initial use all new and altered cranes shall be inspected to ensure compliance with the provisions of this section.
- FREQUENT The following items shall be inspected for defects at intervals, including observation during operation between regular inspections.
- Deterioration or leakage
- Hooks with deformation or cracks
- Hoist chains & wire rope for excessive wear, twist, distortion, and noncompliance
- PERIODIC Complete inspection of the crane performed at intervals as defined based on activity, severity of service, and environment.